Thursday, February 14, 2013

Paleo pulled pork (or beef)

Another yummy recipe we've been loving over here is paleo pulled pork/beef. A friend gave this recipe to me a couple weeks ago and I really like it.

A couple things to note:

1. Next time, I plan on doubling it, as we like our meat more saucy than not, but the regular recipe is good if you don't.

2. I am also still trying to figure out my slow cooker, and find that theres a burnt ring around the pot no matter what times/settings I've done. It doesn't affect the taste of the meat, as I'm careful to not mix the burnt part in. So, adjust your times/heat settings accordingly.

3. I've made this recipe with both pork shoulder and beef (whatever roast was on sale) and noted that since the pork is fattier, it can handle long times in the crockpot (like 12 or more hours on low), whereas the beef will dry out quicker, so it's best to not leave it too long. For example: I put mine in the crockpot on Saturday night at 8pm until midnight on low, turned it to warm til 7 am-9am, and to high from 9-12:30 and it was probably a little too long. I may skip the 7-9am low setting next time. (it was good, but maybe a little dry..although more sauce next time may help this).

Anyways! Enough of my rambling..here's the recipe.

Paleo Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

1tbsp coconut oil
3 cloves garlic (I used 8;)
2 shallots minced
1 tsp organic spicy mustard
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chipotle seasoning (I used Cajun seasoning)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup chicken broth
Juice of 1.5 limes
1 tsp pure maple syrup
6 oz can tomato paste (no salt)

In sauce pan, heat oil. Add garlic and shallots and sauté until translucent.

Add mustard, smoked paprika, chipotle, cumin, salt, and sauté for about 30 seconds.

Add broth, lime juice, maple syrup, and paste.

Whisk all ingredients until smooth. Bring to a light boil, reduce to simmer and slightly cover with lid.

Simmer for 45 min and let cool.*

*I never let mine cool..I just add it right away to the slow cooker. I put a bit of sauce on the bottom, add the meat, and then pour rest of sauce on top. I turn the meat every 1.5 hours. When it is falling apart easily, I pull it apart with a fork and leave for at least another half hour.

I ate mine with onions and mushrooms that I had sautéed on the side and fresh green beans, boiled and then sautéed in garlic and sunflower oil.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

YUM!!!!!! We went out for supper tonight to a new BBQ Cookhouse -- I got a pulled pork on ciabatta and sweet potato fries. oh my soul -- yum!! I've made it before -- but will have to try your recipe! looks awesome!