Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Sigh...

Well, it happened again. I went to bed late (midnight...crazy i know), and slept all the way through the night (thanks to Cait), woke up at 6:20, to give Cait a bottle, and slept until 6:50 (yes, that extra half hour was worth it!)....and yet, here I am still more tired than when I get up once or twice a night with the kids.

Weird. Bodies are weird. Sometimes I feel like just as my body is finally adjusting to regular sleep patterns, I go and get pregnant and then I'm back to square one. :) Oh well. Makes the coffee much more enjoyable. Which is what I'm drinking now.

So, what's new here? Well, not a whole lot. March Break starts Friday, and we are heading out to visit Marie & Alex for about 4 days, and I'm super excited!!! :) Marie is such a sweetie, and we always have alot of fun when we hang out. Plus, Ottawa is really nice, and it's just close enough to not be too big of a 'trip' (5 hours away), but still far enough that you feel like you're really 'away' from home. Ya know?

So, yesterday at supper, I had another cool conversation with Kier. He is just growing up so quickly and is really 'clueing' into alot of different things all at once. It started because he had a punishment right after school until supper, because he had not obeyed the babysitter we had the night before. So, after informing him of all he'd lost due to that (a lollipop I had picked up for him...right into the garbage....made him watch and everything...lots of tears there and a tv show that he wanted to watch), I decided that he was to write a letter to Maggy (the babysitter) apologizing. I wrote down four words I wanted him to include in it, and told him to add whatever else was on his heart. So, here is a summary of the note:

"Maggy, I am sorry for disobeying you. Will you forgive me? You're the best babysitter. love, Kieran to maggy"

Cute. And he really got what he had done, and was really repentent for it. I love those instances where, as a mom, I know my child so well, that I know exactly how to communicate with him to really help him understand what he did, and the consequences. The real test of how well he got it will be the next time she babysits...so, we'll see.

Then, at supper, he mentioned that a boy on the bus had hit him. I asked him if he had done anything to provoke the boy, and he initially said no, not really. But because, as a rule, the kids on his bus don't randomly walk around hitting kids, I pushed him to get the whole story. Turns out that this kid was being mean to his friend, and Kieran wanted him to leave his friend alone, but then the boy called kieran a 'name.' When he told me that, and was almost crying when I asked him to tell me what name he had called him, I thought for sure, we'd entered the stage where he was going to be hearing bad words. So, I braced myself, and after alot of coaxing and being reassured that we wouldn't get mad at him, he finally whispered in my ear the word.......

Bum bum face.

He had his hands over his mouth nervously after saying it, and was like, "are you mad that I just said it?" We told him of course not, but I still wanted to know what led to the boy hitting him. He said, "Well, he called me that name, and was still being mean, so I called him the name too". Oh. Now, I really understood where all the nervousness and guilt was coming from....not only the fact that he heard the word, but more the fact that he said it too. We told him that we were proud that he told us the truth, and I said that now that Jesus is in his heart, whenever he would make wrong decisions, he wouldn't feel good about them, because Jesus wants to help us make good decisions and doesn't want us to have peace when we make bad ones. It was obvious he knew it was wrong, so we had a good chat about better ways to deal with bullies, and he had some great ideas....obviously, don't call them bad names back; also, move to another seat on the bus to get away from them, or my favorite, ignore them.

So, that's life around here lately. Lots of life lessons for my boy, my middle girl turning 4 in a couple weeks and soooo excited about it, and my little baby turning 15 months next week, and showing no signs of slowing down. And I love it.

Ok. No more sighs. Coffee's gone, and lots to do. xo

5 comments:

Life With My Joys..... said...

Oh, sweet Angie! What a great conversation with your little boy. What a tender heart! I am so excited, so teary, and so happy about little Keiran's decision to follow Jesus. He's a little brother now! How cool is that? Man - THAT'S what it's all about, isn't it? I am so excited for and am praying for the day when I'll be able to share a similar story about my boys! Love you, sweet friend!

Anonymous said...

Sweet story, Ang...these must be moments where your heart just wants to melt...you know I am tearing up right now, emotional mommy-to-be that I am!! I am so excited to have these stories!!! It was so nice to talk to you lastnight...I don't even mind that I missed most of American Idol -- I love our chats!!

Hope you have a GREAT weekend with Marie...give her my love, okay?!...have fun - relax, and enjoy some time without a house to clean, laundry to do, supper to make, etc...have FUN!!!

I love ya -

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot: Jason got called in to work today (not that you have to be my little receptionist or anything, but if you're talking to Matt, can you tell him that, and if he wants to call tonight, that would be great?...sorry, Ang...and, thanks.)

Anonymous said...

I got in touch with him myself - no need to be my secretary, Ang!!

Hope you update again before you leave...surely you cannot be busy looking after little children, getting ready to go away, doing laundry, etc...surely, oh surely, all you really have to do today is update your blog...tend to your friend's deep sense of boredom...

if not - then, hope you have a splendid day - and a wonderful weekend away...

Anonymous said...

9 pounds?! Yikes, Ang...that is not nice!! (You'll probably be right though - wink wink!!)

Thanks for FINALLY making your predictions...

Oooh...and I cannot WAIT to see you this summer!!! For real...we can take OUR KIDS to the beach...I cannot believe I will have a kid of my very own to take to the beach!!! woo-hoo!!!

Yes - so great to talk to you lastnight...I love ya, Ang...you are a dear...

Anonymous said...

you make me laugh you make me cry. all in all..reading this blog makes me emo!!
thanks ang. i love love love your stories about your kids

love erin