Monday, March 03, 2008

Weekend Life

Our weekends vary from weekend to weekend. This past weekend was one that started out looking like it would be not too bad on the busy scale, but pretty low key. Instead it turned out to be filled with alot of fun and relaxing family time.

Starting Thursday night, we picked Kier up from school and decided to make an impromptu trip to the library. We stopped at the grocery store first (for snacks and a couple necessities), and had a lot of fun there. To let you get to know my kids a little more, here's where their interests were the whole time at the grocery store: Kier--as soon as we walked in, he saw a Life magazine with a picture of lightning on the front, went over and grabbed it, and settled in the cart to flip through the magazine until we were done shopping. A man's man already. :) Rory was focused on getting the free cookie at the bakery, but was easily distracted by the girls' clothes, shoes, candles, cheesies (their treat), dancing in the aisles, and helping me put things into the cart. But, the whole time, she never forgot the cookie at the bakery. And gobbled it up pretty quickly when she finally got it. :) Cait, however, had no choice but to sit in the cart and amused herself pretty well. By grabbing everything she could and either eating it, or throwing it onto the floor, and then pointing and grunting. The kids think she's hilarious so, when she clued in that she was getting laughs, she didn't stop for the whole trip. :) And she enjoyed the cookie too.

So, then we were off to the library. Before going in, I gave each of them an apple to gobble up, in an effort to curb their supper appetite. Kier and Rory finished quickly but Cait was taking her time. It was actually the first time I gave her the whole apple, skin on, to just hold and eat herself, and let me tell you, she loved it! She is already quite an independent little girl, but the sight of her walking around the library, apple in hand, mouth full, waving and smiling to everybody, made the trip that much more fun. I tell ya, that girl is happiest when she is in a room full of people and is the center of attention. (not sure where she gets that.....).

Moving onto Friday night, I had actually picked up some movies at the library (free movies...gotta love that!), so we put on Peter Pan to watch with the kids. Not my favorite movie at all. I have never watched it, and really didn't like it. Peter Pan's attitude is so cocky and rude, and he has girls all over that island...and is quick to ditch one for the next one that catches his fancy. The kids weren't into it, so we ended up playing playmobils for a bit, and then the kiddies went to bed. We invited our good friend, Mitch over to play some games, but we (Rob, Dawn, Mitch, & I) just ended up veggin' and had great conversations. About marriage, divorce, committment, and my desire to tour North America and just help people with their marriages. Alot of sad stuff happening to couples today. We had some laughs too. (i said, 'pardon?'...inside joke.)

Onto Saturday, I usually have music practice on Saturday morning, but it was cancelled this week, so Rob let me sleep in (love that guy!), and then we packed the kids up and went to the Waterloo Children's Museum. It was alot of fun and was perfect for all of their ages. Cait just loved being able to run free and kept looking up at the lights and chinese lanters they had hanging from the ceiling, and smiling. She's so cute. Saturday evening was pretty uneventful, as Rob had to prepare for the next morning, and for some reason, I was pooped. I am convinced that my body works more efficiently on less sleep, because anytime I get extra rest, I seem to be much more tired. Weird.

So, church was good, and then we went out to eat with a bunch of people after church which is always fun. There were some 'new' people there who I haven't gotten to know very well yet, so it was nice to just veg and chat. After settling Cait down for her nap at home, and the other kids were off to play scrabble, and daddy was 'watching tv' (ie-napping :), I snuck out with Dawn for a couple hours to power shop. We hit about 9 stores the hour before they closed, and it was fun. We both found what we were looking for, and I hit some sales for the kids too. Then, I went into mommy organizing mode when I got home, and blitzed for about 3 hours, cleaning, vaccuuming, reorganizing and scrubbing. Felt good. Then, Rob and I settled in and watched a movie together. I found it hard to get into, cause it was pretty slow and didn't 'hook' me at the first, but it was so nice to just be with him for a couple hours.

So, that was our Stanley weekend. Nothing spectacular, but got to spend lots of time with most of my favorite people, so it was a good one.

How was your weekend?

No comments: